Judge Gorsuch: Passed President Trump’s Anti-Abortion Rights Litmus Test
President Trump promised that he would only appoint justices who would “automatically” overturn Roe v. Wade, so we can only assume that Gorsuch passed this litmus test.
Trump’s Anti-Abortion Litmus Test:
In a CNN interview with Jake Tapper, President Trump was asked if being against abortion-rights was a “litmus test” for choosing a Supreme Court justice. President Trump responded, “It is. It is.”
Trump Pledged to Appoint Justices Who Will “Automatically” Overturn Roe v. Wade
In the third presidential debate of 2016, George Wallace asked President Trump if he wanted to see the Supreme Court “overturn Roe v. Wade.” President Trump responded, “Well, if we put another two or perhaps three justices on…that will happen. And that’ll happen automatically, in my opinion, because I am putting pro-life justices on the court.
Widespread Praise from Anti-Abortion Activists
Gorsuch’s nomination has been praised by anti-abortion rights activists:
- Marjorie Dannenfelser, President of anti-abortion rights group Susan B. Anthony List praised Neil Gorsuch’s nomination noting, “in nominating Judge Gorsuch, President Trump has kept his promise to nominate only pro-life judges to the Supreme Court. Judge Gorsuch is a distinguished jurist with a strong record of protecting life.”
- Judie Brown, President of the American Life League said, “Judge Gorsuch shares the same values and commitment to life as American Life League and its supporters.”
- Douglas D. Johnson, Senior Policy Advisor for National Right to Life stated, “Pro-life legislators and activists nationwide can have high confidence that as a Supreme Court justice, Neil Gorsuch will not join those who have nullified past efforts to protect the lives of unborn children and other vulnerable humans,”
- Kristan Hawkins, president of Students for Life of America declared, “We are thrilled with Judge Neil Gorsuch’s nomination to the US Supreme Court by President Trump, who is continuing to fulfill campaign promises at a breakneck speed.”
- Mike Gonidakis, president of Ohio Right to Life, told LifeNews, “Tonight’s nomination fulfills the hopes and prayers of pro-life voters who saw the long-term consequences of the election, and voted to save the Supreme Court. Ohio Right to Life applauds President Trump for his thorough vetting of multiple pro-life candidates, and for staying true to his promise to nominate pro-life judges.”